Saturday, February 23, 2008

Pinot Comparison

Tonight we are making brocoli rabe with sausage for dinner and we are cooking with Redwood Creek Pinot Grigio. This wine is from California and the label says, " The fish were indeed biting today. We reflected as a thin fog weaved its way through the redwoods, softening the afternoon light. While the trout cooked over the fire, I retrieved the bottle of Pinot Grigio-chilled to creek temperature. We took our first sip. It was light and crisp, with red apple and floral notes as well as hints of ripe citrus. And, evidently, remarkable moments. " Huh, kinda poetic for wine label?

Redwook Creek
Pinot Grigio
California
2006
$5.99

Reviewer 1: Not bad. Okay, I know that I always say that but really I think that this is better than the first pinot we tasted. It has a little stronger aftertaste than I find ideal but it is smooth over all. It has a bold flavor that is not quite perfected as after a few sips hints of mouth wash can be tasted. We are not drinking it "chilled to creek temperature" so maybe that would make it better. That being said, I would probably buy this wine again but next time try to drink it surrounded by red woods.

Reviewer 2: There are instructions on the cork of the bottle about how the cork could be used as a fishing float, which I suppose is for the best. The wine itself, however, is not without its redeeming qualities. Judging from the story on the label, they intend for this wine to be hardy and they intend that the bottle will probably be carried into the woods and that whoever is bringing it won't be too upset if it breaks in transit. This wine is not as good as the Masocanali but is still fairly enjoyable. Definitely better than the Barefoot. It is a little more harsh and not quite as refreshing as the Masocanali. I can't say that I taste the apples, but at least don't taste the trout either.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Its been over a month, when is the next tasting coming?

Mr. Anti-Camry said...

Drink more. I'm dying to read all about your $3 adventures.

Also, I think you should splurge on a more expensive bottle, given last Friday's milestone! I went to dinner with some colleagues a few weeks ago and we shared a $67 bottle of Cab. It was very nice, but maybe not $42 better than a $25 of Hanlon Estates Pinot Noir...