Sunday, February 17, 2008

Valentine's Day special

For Valentine's day, I splurged on a bottle of wine that was about 15$. We are finally getting around to drinking it tonight. According to the bottle: "Maso Canali is crafted from 100% Pinot Grigio grapes grown in Trentino's finest vineyards. Possessing a cool, Mediterranean microclimate, the hillside location of these premier vineyards provides the perfect terrior for growing Pinot Grigio Grapes. Maso Canali Pinot Grigio has a brilliant golden color with aromas of tropical fruit and apricot. This wine is well-balanced with ripe flavors of apple and pear, leading to the clean finish."

Maso Canali
Pinot Grigio
2006
Italy
$15

Reviewer #1: I am the worst wine reviewer in the world. My palate is not very refined. But I would say that this is smooth and doesn't force you to shutter once swallowed. I wouldn't say that I am to the level of tasting the apricots or pears but then again after one glass I am a little tipsy so not a very good reviewer.

Reviewer #2: "You spent how much on this wine? No wonder it tastes so good!" This is by far the best wine to date that we have reviewed at 3 dollar connoisseur. Unlike the other two wines we have reviewed so far this particular wine doesn't taste like it would be used to take the paint off of walls. I believe that a lot of that has to do with the fact that we spent 5x as much on this bottle of wine. Using my own vocabulary since I am not trained in wine tasting I would describe Maso Canali as crisp and refreshing. It is from Trento, Italy and wines from Trento always remind me of a friend of mine whose last name was Trento. He has nothing to do with this wine (at least I don't think so). But I love northern Italy and this particular wine makes me want to go back even more.

No comments: