Sunday, October 12, 2008

Blah, boring wine

I know that you can hardly believe your eyes that we are already posting again. In fact we are a little disappointed in the lack of comments. Tonight, for dinner I made our favorite spinach, pesto lasagna. We have it every year on this day to celebrate the start of fall racing season (although, this year today was the 2nd race). We both had long weekends with Reviewer one having a 30 hour, sleepless shift, at the hospital and reviewer two finishing the garage work yesterday and taking his team to race today. Keep that in mind as you read this likely incoherent review. Tonight's wine is a pinot grigio. The Label says, " On its journey from the wine country hills to the Pacific, the Bohemian Highway meanders through vine yards, red wood forests, and palm groves. This wine embodies the casual, free-flowing spirit you will find a long the way. Bohemian Highway California Pinot Grigio is zesty and crisp with refreshing aromas and flavors of melon, tropical fruit, a cool lemon/lime to finish. So follow your instincts and go with the flow."

Bohemian Highway
Pinot Grigio
Napa, California
2007
< 5$

Reviewer 1: My exhaustion is definelty impairing my ability to be discriminating. My first sip of this wine was uneventful and unmemorable. It just kinda blends in with the delicious meal but not in a good way that it would actually add to the meal. However, after reading the lable about melon, tropical fruit, and cool lemon/lime, I really wanted to like this wine. I mean doesn't that just sound delicious. If only I was on a tropical beach drinking it with my spirit flowing in the wind. So back to reality, this wine isn't bad it just isn't anything special. Not my favorite three dollar wine.

Reviewer 2: Boy did I have a long day at work today. But still not as long as reviewer number 1. It was a long, hard day but when I got home, I got one of my favorite meals-pesto lasagna. Reviwer 1 asked me to pick out a wine and also get a bottle of San Pelligrino to drink with our meal. I kinda wanted a red but went with this white because it was in the referigerator when I went for the San Pelligrino. Also, it was a hot day and a Pinot often tastes good on a hot day. So I poured us each a glass while the lasanga was still cooking to enjoy with our salad. It was an immediate let down. Maybe I am becoming a wine snob but I think that I can taste the difference now between a bottle that cost 15-20$ vs. a bottle that cost <5$. There seems to be a certain depth of flavor that accompanies good wines. It sort of reminds me of the saying, "Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes all the way to the bone." But I guess maybe it is the opposite because the good wines have a depth of flavor that goes all the way through, but the bad wines have an unpleasant taste that barely masks the blandness of the base. But I guess I would rather have a some what bland, bad wine than have one that has a horrible bold flavor that makes you run out of the room looking for a bottle of listerine. Verdict: I won't buy this again.

* As forwarned- coherency is impaired by fatigue.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I think it is great you are becoming a wine snob!!