Friday, October 3, 2008

The cheapest yet

Can you believe that we are posting again so soon. It has been a long week here. So far I have worked over 60 hours and although I have tomorrow off, I am on call Sunday starting at 7 am. The weather here has turned to fall with morning temps in the 40's. Tonight we are enjoying home made pizza with our cheapest wine yet. It is a box wine that one of our friends brought for us from Europe. I believe that it cost one euro.
The label says (translated from Spanish by reviewer 2) " Since 1890, 4 generations of artisian wine makers have conserved a tradition of quality. As this tradition has brought about the results of a constant investigation to bring about the best new technologies to our winery. Today Don Simon wine is the best flavored in its 100 year history. The elaborate wine made from the virgin grape with our most vigorous artisian standards and bottled with the most advanced microfiltration allows us to preserve intact all of the flavors and aroma. Don Simon is the most consumed Spanish wine in the World. The wine with the most tradition of quality and we hope you drink it at your table every day."
Also tonight, we have a dinner guest who will review this "vintage."

Don Simon
Vino Tinto
Spain
undated 1 liter box,
< 1 euro

Reviewer one: I have been craving a stiff drink all week after feeling like an idiot for 90% of the time. So really anything would do the trick. The first drink of this wine made me shutter. I would have to agree that the microfiltration mentioned on the label does preserve a lot of taste. However, I am not sure that is a good thing. Now by the end of my first glass, I am enjoying each sip. I can envision myself in Spain sitting in a cafe sipping my wine with lunch and totally being able to enjoy the rest of the day. I don't know that I would actually purchase this wine but hey it was free and the night is young.

Reviewer two: This is the most sold Spanish wine in the world (El vino espanol mas vendido en el mondo). So I guess it is to Spanish wine like Bud is to American beer. I don't drink Bud that often, but when I do, I'm pretty ready to not have any more. But I'm not here tonight to bust on Don Simon. I'm actually pretty satisfied with the Don. It is billed as a red table wine, and right on the label you're encouraged to drink it every day. This is the sort of wine that you could drink daily. Not awesome, but there is nothing really wrong with it. It is a bit oaky, a bit fruity, and you don't really have to be pretentious to enjoy it. It might not be the best wine I've had, but it is probably the cheapest. And at that price, it is definitely a bargain.
This wine was actually a gift from one of my athletes who took a trip to Spain over the summer. I asked her to find a really cheap box of wine and bring it back, since I had what I thought was a very good wine on the cheap several years ago when I was there (also bought from a grocery store for less than a euro.) So I feel very European drinking this. It is a very Euro tradition, daily wine, decent quality, without all the pretentious labels and high prices. And luckily, it is a full litre, not just 750ml, so I can have another glass! Next time you're in Europe, bring me back another box!

Guest Reviewer

First off, I loved the packaging. The adult-size juice box design ensures easy portability and drinkability; perfect for a (byob) night out on the town or to keep fueled at a raging houseparty. The wine itself is not bad if your looking for cheap intoxication or to pair with a mid-week meal of leftovers, but if you are looking for flavor, you'd be better off with something in a proper bottle or with one of the newer generations of boutique boxed wines. Not for sipping- a bendy straw would be a nice addition.

No comments: