Saturday, October 25, 2008

On a roll

Tonight we enjoyed another good wine (in my opinion...we'll have to see what our other reviewers have to say). We have our second guest reviewer tonight so it is indeed a good night. Tonight's dinner started with cheesy bacon mushroom wraps...delicious. The main course was flank steak, salad, and Seeduction bread from Whole Foods. Overall very delightful. To help us become better reviewer's our family has bought us check lists. Tonight's wine was Hey Mambo from Napa, CA the label reads, "Down some alley off of Columbus, I bang on an unsuspecting door and of course there is some big brute just waiting to hassle me. Once inside the hollow building he points me down a dim set of stairs. A bar and table emerge out of the smokey blackness. I sit in the back corner and order the house ravioli and a bottle of wine. On the postage stamp of a stage the lights revel a luscious gem with cocoa brown hair and cranberry lips. She belts out a lonesome note to awaken her band like striking a match the room comes ablaze with music. Her voice like velvet beckoning srtays to the dance floor. A few couples and then a few more. The crowd is insatable! The music, the food, the wine all together hypnotyzing. I savor every drop."

The other guys, a division of Don Sebastiani and Sons
Hey Mambo
blend of barbera, zinfandal, syrah, petite sirah, carignane, alicante bouchet
"A Sultry Red"
2006
$11.99

Reviewer one:
Man, all of those years I refused to drink red wine I was really missing out. This one was very enjoyable. I also thought that red wine had a harsh after taste but I was wrong. This one was smooth and drinkable. I don't really know if any correlation exists between amount of wine consumed and length of time into intern year but if it does, I am in trouble since I have more than 7 months left. This wine hit the spot after a busy day in the ER. Plenty more wine and reviews to come this week as we have house guests! Stay tuned.

Reviewer two:
I picked this wine off of the shelf at our local grocery wine shop. I was drawn to it not by the label, but by the extra bit of flair on the shelf, which shouted that this wine was rated a 92. I don't really know how high the numbers go on this rating system, but I usually see numbers in the upper 80s and lower 90s. Usually these numbers have high prices by them, so to see a 92 for $11, I thought, wow, this must be really good. It is called a "bistro style wine," which I think is another way of saying "table wine." It actually reminds me a bit of good ol' Don Simon, the one euro box wine from Spain. But I like it even better than Don Simon, due to the fact that they try to make this good, not just passable. I'd enjoy this most any time. The flavor is good, and satisfying. It tasets like I think red wine should.
It came with a milk-jug style plastic cork, which was easy to get off, but now that we have the "Rabbit" corkscrew, I think the plastic thing actually was slower.
The label was really wordy, and tried to be artsy, but really they don't need to, as I like the wine already. But I notice that the best wines say little, and the worst wines try to cover it up with a lot of prose. Fortunately, I am not really into fancy wines, so this "peoples wine" is just fine by me. I like it, and would happily drink it again.
BTW, I'm very happy to have our guest reviewer here with us today.

Guest reviewer:
And I am so happy to be here visiting the host reviewers. The dinner was superb, and the company could not be better. Tha wine paired well with the dinner. I thought the wine had a mild, light oak flavor, and was not overly complex. Yet there was enough flavor to be interesting. The red was not deep, but bright. It had long legs, and nice smoth finish. I would buy this and would love to have it again. Thank you Hosts.

No comments: