Sunday, October 26, 2008

more wine!

Like I said this week will have numerous reviews! We are enjoying our house guests and the occasion to share good wine. A lot of work happened today with a new door going up in our house. Our doors are poorly insulated so over the course of this week, we are trying to replace them all. I didn't actually help with this project as it was another slightly less busy day in the ER (note: if it is NOT an emergency you do NOT need to come to the ER). This first bottle of wine tonight is a red wine from the Valencia region of Spain. It was accompanied by olives, cheese and crackers and of course stories from the good old days. The label says, " Grapes. 85% Tempranillo 15% Monastrell. The wine purple red; notes of earth and species on the nose. On the palate it is meaty, medium bodied, full of rich black berries. Location Zone 8 in the town enguera, at 2037 ft. in altitude southwest of the city of Valencia, in southern valencia provinence. Soil the Sandy soil, good at storing heat, allowing for continued riping during the cool nights, more importantly, they drain well, preventing undesired moisture. Limestone subsoil, acts as a water reservoir, provides water to the vine during periods of drought. Climate: The average temperature between May and October is 60.8 degrees F. The cooler temps bestoy abundant aromas, vibrant freshness with great fruit expression.

RE
Pipon
2007
$10.99

Reviewer one: This red while still satisfying and continuing to improve my impression of red wines was a little dryer than I prefer. The color was deep, dark red and really enticing. I can imagine this wine going well with tapas in a little Spanish cafe. The taste is full but like a said before a little dry. However, this didn't stop me from having a second glass sorta of like the Washington Huskies playing Notre Dame last night, they just couldn't stop trying (just kidding...I just had to get this jab in). Anyway, back to wine. This wine was enjoyable and I would drink it again. However, I think Hey Mambo was better suited for my preference.

Reviewer two: This is another "red wine" from Spain. Another Don Simon!! Viva Don Simon!! This is another red right in my sweet spot. This wine is a little sweeter than last night's red, and a bit oakier and spicer, but not by much. I can definitely imagine this as a table wine in just about any restaurtant in Spain. The label on the back is very much like a textbook. Lots of info. None of it means anything to me. I probably liked Hey Mambo a bit better, but this wine is more extreme, more sweetness, more spicey, more oaky. But I like this wine. Tonight, 2 guest reviewers!!

Guest Reviewer 1: The cheese, olives and crackers provided a very tasty introduction to our happy hour. This deep purple wine appeared heavy enough to hold its own, so deep in fact that no light could be seen through it.. It was spicy on the nose, but on the palate it could not hold its own. It was simply overmatched by the flavors of the snacks. No oak could be found. It was not bad, just bland and not something to get excited about.

Guest Reviewer 2:I liked it - as I like most Spanish tempranillo wines. It was great with the cheese and olives appetizer. It had a hint of berry and is a wine I could drink while sitting and enjoying tapas in Tossa de Mar on the coast of Spain. When can I go back?

No comments: