Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Lushes

We must becoming lushes as we are already posting again. We needed to open a bottle of dry white wine to make creamed fennel for dinner. We happened to have purchased such a bottle of dry white wine not long ago and so were in luck. This is a dry white from South Africa, the label says " Groote Post 2005 the old man's blend/dry white Sauvignon blanc 62%, chenin blanc 38%. Wine of origin coastal region wine of South Africa.

Groote Post
The Old Man's Blend, Dry white
South Africa
2005
<10$

Reviewer 1: I think that I bought this wine because I was trying to expand my wine selection. Buying it I remember thinking, I probably won't like this but I should try to expand my comfort zone. However, from sip one I was hooked. Other dry wines I have had before, I needed to choke down and take a sip of water afterwards. This one, however, is smooth and pleasurable. It has no harsh alcohol taste and was really simple and elegant. Good thing that I was adventurous when picking out wines at the grocery store. I will definelty buy this again.

Reviewer 2: Wow, I can't believe we are writing about opening another bottle of wine again so soon after our last bottle. I was a little offended when reviewer 1 bought this bottle of the old man's blend. I thought that somehow she was trying to say something about myself. But as it turns out, I am happy that she got this dry white. A recipe we were making called for a dry white and I opened it up to have a taste before cooking with it. Right away the old man and I hit it off. He had a good depth of flavor with a nice balance of sweet and dry. Or at least what I think dry is. I guess when I think of dry, I think of vermouth. This isn't really dry like that. It is pleasent and goes well with a meal of creamed fennel and cheeseburgers. While we are talking about cheeseburgers I would like to give a shot out to my favorite new brand of mustard, Beaver Brand Deli Mustard, from Beaverton, OR. I am licking the container out as reviewer number 1 types this in. It is a delicous blend of slightly sweet and a little hot (like reviewer one) along with whole mustard seeds and a bit of horseradish. It is wonderful on sandwiches and burgers and goes great with Old Man's blend.

**** Note: whole bottle of wine is gone...Please read this post knowing that fact!

1 comment:

Tom said...

Great to see that you are enjoying drinking wine. I have always believed that it's like drinking beer, coffee, tea, etc. There are many levels of quality and costs but bottom line, what makes is good depends on the person drinking it.

Look forward to sharing a glass or two during Thanksgiving!